Skip to content

History in the making..

When Kings was originally built in the early eighteen hundreds it as a play house with the people who worked in the theatre living in the basement where they kept their animals, and had shelter to live. On the outside of the building on Lewis St the outline of windows and doors to the basement can still be seen. Charlie Chaplin was one of the famous names that appeared here. The building was converted to a cinema in the early 20th century and some of the original features are still visible – such as the balcony and the cinema room.

The cinema room still contains the original doors, made of metal covering to prevent fire escaping, as the original films where made of acetate which is flammable. The film room is made of concrete to prevent fire escaping, although 3 times after films started to be shown, the films caught fire and caused a lot of damage to the first floor.

But Kings survived. It was visited by none other than Winston Churchill; this shows the importance of the building to Gainsborough as part of its heritage.

In 1985 due to the decline of the cinema industry Kings was turned into a bingo hall and survived until 2012 when due to lack of people, closed. The property reverted back to the Liberal Club who was the original owners from 1889. The property was put up for auction, but failed to sell. It was finally bought by its present owner in late 2014. Since that time the property has been lovingly restored to some of its former glory to bring it back into use as an entertainment venue, being used for plays, bingo, music, comedy and many forms of theatrical entertainment.

The History of Kings

Credits too:
The Delvers-Old Gainsborough, on-line
Gainsborough Heritage Association
Gainsborough Facebook fans
Paul Kemp
Gainsborough past and present.

The building named (Albert Hall) was built by Mr John Reynold Fox and Mr James Marshall in 1885. It was opened by Maud Branscombe, who was an actress born in 1854 in Exeter, with shows Undone, which was a comedy and Eurydice which was a burlesque show which starred Maud Branscombe.

In 1888 Mr Fox leased the building to the Constitutional Association but in Feb 1889 the building was to be sold to the The Liberal who outbid The Constitutional Association by £100. It was sold for £2000.

In 1891 it was renamed Royal Albert Hall

The building was leased to a Robert Kirk who had the building from 1889 to 1904 who put shows on such as Montague Ruby Midget Minstrels they were a children’s group. 3rd and 5th Dec 1896 the first films where shown.

In 1904 the building was closed for redecorated, it reopened with new boxes and plasterwork on the front of the balcony and renamed Kings Theatre the lessee was named as Arthur Carton up until 1910. Then in 1910 the managers of Theatre Royal Lincoln took over, lessee F.J Reece and managed by Ernes Pope.
In Aug 1910 it opened with shows priced at 2d to 1s. The shows were
 Sid Herman a Hebrew Comedian
The Wymans a cross talk couple and
Balzens who performed Japanese Juggling

This was followed on 1st sept
 Mr Levys Junior Opera Company, The Gay Gordons, The Arcadions, Mr Alan Wilkie Repertory Company and Little Red Riding Hood.

At some point the building was changed to a cinema and on 22 Jan 1925 the building was badly damaged by fire but was reopened on 5th sept 1927 with a new ceiling with Greek styling which is still there today and copied over the new extended balcony.
Gaumont Denman Theatres owned (leased) the building from 5th sep 1927 to 10th July 1937.
J. F. Emery Circuit  1938
United Entertainments Ltd 1953
1958 films stopped back to variety theatre 
1992 turned into a Bingo Hall up until 2015 when Mr L Fox brought the building and has been renovating the building up to the present date.